I Like To Attempt To Blow Shit Up.

Not really...

But I did have a slight mishaps this morning here in the company flat.

See... I have my really cool hot pink flat iron with me here. I brought it so my co-workers and I could use it this week. And this morning, I got up and prepped myself to go for a jog. But before I left the flat, one of my co-workers wanted to use my flat iron...

"Hey! Can you plug in your flat iron for me?" she asked.

"Sure!" I said. "Let me find the electric converter."

So I go to plug the converter and the flat iron into the bathroom outlet. But I can't.

"It's a funky-looking outlet," I said. "I'll just plug it into this outlet here in the hallway for you."

So, I get down on my knees. I plug the converter in first. No problem. Then I plug the flat iron into the converter...

Problem...

As soon as I simply plugged the iron in, a huge "BOOM" and a great orange spark come flying out of the wall.

My co-worker looked horrified. I wasn't even phased. (Believe it or not, shit like this has happened before to me.)

"Wow!" I said. "That was loud. I'll just unplug the iron and converter."

And before my co-worker (who's a bit freaked out by the fact that I was nearly electrocuted) can protest me touching anything, I yank the iron and the converter out of the wall. I inspect them.

"These look fine," I tell her. "But I guess we can't use it here in the UK. I guess I'll go for a jog now."

And I left.

I had a nice little run around the area. I found lots of shops and places I want to visit. Then I stopped by Starbucks and picked up coffee for my co-workers and I. When I was walking back, the co-worker who witnessed the event was outside.

"Frogger is freaking out," she said. "Apparently, none of the outlets in the apartment are working. So we can't use anything. We're gonna have to move to a hotel."

I get back to the apartment, and Frogger is freaking out. Her cell isn't working. She only has minutes left on her laptop before it dies... And she only just woke up 20 minutes before.

Eventually, we managed to locate the fuse box for the apartment. But neither of my co-workers could reach the box. So despite the ruling they had made minutes before that I "wasn't allowed to touch anything electrical anymore," I crawled up on a stool and flipped the fuse.



I guess I am the "handyman" of this group while we're here.

Comments

Frogger said…
In an attempt to defend my freaking out, I would like to point out that I was only awake for 20 minutes, had no coffee in my blood cells and yes, the end of the world was near!! My laptop battery was dying and my cell phone wouldn't work. I'd like to take this moment to apologize to Jim at AT&T for calling him some rather colorful names. Sorry, Jim.
Frogger said…
Wait... you forgot to tell the part of the story where you announced you were moving to a hotel because there was no hot water.
Dan said…
And it's only Day 1...

Popular Posts