My Ass Is Really Gonna Hurt Tomorrow...

I had training this morning at 6am with my personal trainer. I ended the day with a private Pilates session. And now, my ass already has a burn that (like my ass) just won't quit.

My abs are killing me a little too right now... So I imagine those will be a problem tomorrow as well.

Why so painful? I got really worked in both sessions.

First, my trainer had me doing vertical jumps over a hurdle this morning. And even though it was a little hurdle, I found myself bending and lifting my legs to make it over... Instead of being able to just jump straight up and over. She discovered that I am not using my ankles and feet to power my movement. I'm merely just using my quads to throw myself up in the air.

"You'll get more power if you really use your ankles and feet to roll yourself forward and up," she said.

She also shared information with me that I had not realized before about my body...

"You are very flexible in the back of your upper legs and the front of your lower legs. Your calves and the front of you upper legs are not as flexible. This is the opposite of most people."

She had me focus on stretching out my calves for a few minutes in between one of my jumping sets. Then she had me bridge up on a ball and bench press lots of weight.

In Pilates, I learned that I don't use my ass enough. In some of the the poses, I was relying too much on my hips to support me, rather than my ass.

"That's why you're not able to maintain the poses and why it hurts in your hips," the instructor told me.

So he had me stop what I was doing and do some really tough stretches to open up my hip flexors. And trust me, it made all the difference in the world. After that, I was using my ass plenty.

"Wow!" I realized. "My ass is really hurting doing these leg circles." And later I noted, "My abs are killing me doing this other pose."

"Yeah," said my instructor, "That's what you're supposed to be feeling."

So my ass, and probably abs, will be in pain tomorrow morning. Oh, and also my back... Just the muscles surrounding my shoulder blades... As those were worked in both Pilates and PT today.

Poor me. Wah.

Comments

Popular Posts