Question: Shoes To Wear In Paris?

I love answering questions people write in with... While I am no expert in any field (except maybe "pirate-ninja style fighting" and "kicking ass"), I am flattered when people ask me what I think.

This question is from self-described "shoe-whore" Casey:

My husband and I are going to Europe at the end of April... I will be about 19-20 weeks pregnant at the time... We will be doing a ton of walking, especially during our 4 days in Paris. .. I can't pack much... So, I can only bring a couple of pairs of shoes. I usually categorize my shoes on a scale from "Wear all day" down to "valet parking only." So, my coolest wear all day shoes are my Lucchese python boots, but these aren't the most practical. I also love walking in my MBTs (I swear they do tone up my butt) but these are hideous, clunky, white and heavy. So, I need a pair of wear all day, walk miles, and still look cute shoes that might be able to do a casual dinner. I will have to bring one pair of hot valet parking only shoes, (my pewter Prada peep toe platform t-straps).

First things first, congrats on your pregnancy Casey! Strolling various streets throughout the European Union should be very inspirational and healthy for you and your baby.

Now... The last time I was in Paris (which is definitely a strolling city), was two and a half years ago. I had never been before... But I quickly saw that many Parisian women wore flats on the streets of Paris. Perhaps it was "fashionable practicality" on their part? Who knows, really. But whether they were wearing the highest of stilettos or ballet flats, they looked and carried themselves in a very chic and comfortable way. And I guess, that's my first bit of advice to you... "Whatever you do decide to wear on your feet, 'work it' like they're just an extension of your body."

Now for the fun part... The finds.

I totally dug the style of the shoes you pictured and sent over to me. And you are so brave (and likely very graceful) to be walking around in heels while pregnant. (I would be so paranoid, because that's just how I am.) But since you want the highest and most comfortable fashion pieces on your feet, here's what I think might work:

Anthropologie Red River Peep Toes


These are sweet... And I am considering picking them up for myself. (A gal can always use red shoes!) The heel isn't too high. But you could really display some cute toe-cleavage wearing these. And they should be very comfortable (and fashionable!) walking the streets of Europe.

Anthropologie Precious Poppy Slingbacks


A higher heel, but a nice sturdy one! Going with another powerful color (vibrant orange-red), these are a fun shoe that you can easily jaunt around wearing.

Naturalizer "Sherene" Slingback Wedge Sandal


Sweet lord! I don't know if you can get much more "Parisian" than these!!!! Imagine wearing them with the bluest of jeans and a white top! So cute! And, they're made by Naturalizer... So comfort is a key thought in the making of these shoes.

I wasn't sure what else to brainstorm for you Casey. I loved your "casual" shoes selection you sent me a picture of... (the Tsubos.)

Overall, I think you should leave for your trip with three pairs of shoes:
  • One super fancy pair. (Your Pradas.)
  • One dark casual pair. (The Tsubos.)
  • And one flirty and fun pair. (My choice would probably be the Naturalizer shoe above.)
Hope this helps in some way!

Comments

I really like the suggestions from the Missus and wanted to point you toward the Nordstrom's comfort shoe shop as well (http://shop.nordstrom.com/C/2374961/0~2376778~2372808~2374961~6011344?origin=brandedCategoryHeader&pbo=6011344). It was a lifesaver when planning for my trip to Europe (London, Paris, Venice, Florence and Rome) last fall. I'm not known for wearing very practical shoes (I'm only 5'1" so I always wear heels!) but I knew I needed something comfortable. I picked up a pair of mary jane Merrels, cute Ecco wedges and Circa Joan & David heels. All were very comfortable and I had no exhaustion or pain in my feet at all which is remarkable considering we walked miles and miles over those two weeks. Have a wonderful time, Casey!
Me said…
Ohh!! Good call, LB.
BFW (Tammy) said…
Okay... I am really liking your suggestions... so I have a question of my own!

I have a pair of pale khaki's that have a VERY wide pantleg. They are a little longer than floor length, but not so much that I couldn't get away with flats.

So, my question is... what the hell shoes do I wear with them? I have done pointy-toed slingbacks and also boots... but what if I want to co more casual/comfortable?

Suggestions? Thanks!!!

Popular Posts