A Novel Idea.

So, I will admit it. I am a total "follower" when it comes to doing "stuff."

Perfect example of what I'm talking about: My friend Frogger, who I am going to Italy with in June, discovered and planned the entire trip to Tuscany. She discovered the writers' conference that we are going to... She researched the cost... She even asked if it would be possible to get our company to pay for it (which they will not)...

All she said to me was, "There's this writers' conference in Tuscany in June. Want to go?"

I didn't look at the agenda for the conference... Or pay attention to much else. I just said "Yes!" I trust Frogger completely. Is she says it will be cool, then it will be cool.

However, I didn't realize that there is some "pre-work" needed for this conference.

Apparently, it being a "writers' conference" and all, I need to come with a piece of writing on which I want "coaching." (FYI, Frogger, it was really hard for me to write that last sentence without it ending with a preposition, betch.) And while I have made many attempts to start a novel... They all end up sounding like "crap." And I end up just trashing them.

"But you do have a writing project," Frogger informed me. "You have a blog."

Which I guess is true. I mean, this blog is over two years old now. But I have always wanted the blog to be a creative outlet to get me motivated to write a novel.

So far, it's been a really great outlet to showcase all the crap I've bought, my love of jeans and coffee, my daily life with The Husband, etc... But I want it to do more for me.

It's like The Husband... He's great at doing the laundry and loading the dishwasher. But come down on him for not folding things the way I like them to be folded. (Like towels. There's a precise way to fold them to make them fit the bathroom shelves!)

So I need a novel idea. And I mean that in terms of a "fresh idea" and an "idea to write a book on."

(And yes, I realize I ended that last sentence with a preposition. Deal with it people!)

Comments

Frogger said…
Don't stress woman! I've been working on my book for five years - I finally put together "Chapter 1" on Friday night - late night - too late. Remember, pages and pages of words will eventually become a beautiful story...

And if all else fails in Italy, you'll still have your sheep.

Popular Posts