Bikram Yoga: Tips For New People.

Since it's the start of the new year, there has been a large influx of new people taking Bikram yoga at the downtown studio I practice at.

This isn't a bad thing. I am a huge fan of Bikram yoga. I think everyone should be too.

But there are some things I have noticed in the past few days that I think would be helpful to new people practicing Bikram:

  1. Don't talk during the class. Once the instructor comes in, "shut it." Not to be so blunt. Well, actually, I do mean to be blunt. It's a distraction. There's no reason for you to talk.
  2. Once class begins, don't leave the room at all during the 90 minutes. You will get nauseated in the first class. Hell, you'll feel like you want to puke your guts out even in your 20th class (maybe). But don't leave the room. Even if it is to go to the bathroom. Just hold it. I have to pee every 10 minutes. So if I can hold it till the end of class, you can too.
  3. Speaking of getting sick... If you feel nauseated, just sit down. Don't flop yourself down on your mat. Sit "Japanese" style on your knees. Keep your head above your heart. This helps make you feel better. (And whether it's your first class or your 100th, you will sometimes need to sit down. Each day of class is different than the next.)
  4. Don't ever, EVER walk into the practice studio with your street shoes on. Um, there was a new girl who did this last week. Another frequent practitioner, like myself, and I were REALLY creeped out. We lie on the floor in there. We stand on it in our bare feet. We balance with our hands on the floor. The last thing we want is picking some germs from the street outside. This day it happened was extremely creepy; as there was an open patch in the street where city workers were digging up the sewer line.
  5. Don't slam your water down during the class. And when you do take a drink, take small sips and only between postures.
  6. And speaking of postures... Each posture has two sets. Don't drink between the sets. Drink before a new posture.
  7. Where to stand in the class... Just something I have noticed. Not necessarily true. But in the Boston studio (at least) the ends of the room are cooler than the center of the room. So for your first few classes, it may be good for you to tuck yourself in a corner. (Hell, I've been practicing off and on for over two years now and I STILL tuck myself into a corner.)
  8. The more often you come to class, the bigger changes you will see in your body. An obvious one, I know. But it is so very, very true.
That's all I have for now. If I notice anything else, I'll add it to this post. These are just things I noticed might be helpful to know.

Comments

That Girl! said…
Thanks for this. I'm a newbie and this made me smile. I would also add that when leaving class to be as quiet as possible. I hate to be in the middle of my rest after 90mins of work and disturbed by slamming doors and rustling.

Popular Posts