Open A Drawer.

I have this stack of cards that I use to help me when I am writing. It's called "A Tool Kit for Writers."

The purpose of the kit is to stimulate your mind when writing. They're basically writing exercises. The card I pulled out today just read "open a drawer" on it. So I guess I am supposed to open a drawer and write about what I see...

There are no drawers on my desk in my new cubicle, at my new job. This is the Interactive space, so what do I need a drawer for anyway? I don't write things down. I type them. And I don't print things out and bind them; I just PDF them and send them off via e-mail. All of my storage is online. So I don't need a drawer.

What I do need in this new cubicle, though, is a desk lamp that works (mine is cracked), a clean keyboard (mine has some "interesting" stains on it), a garbage can (I don't have one) and someone to tell me what my extension is for my phone (because I don't have anything that says what it is.)

And if I could have anything in this cubicle; I would really dig a TV, a bigger window, a mini-fridge and a coffee-maker. Also, a stack of the February fashion glossies (which aren't out yet), a foot spa, a DVD player, and more space to move in and out of yoga poses during the day.

Oh wait! There is a drawer here at my desk! It's hidden deeply underneath the table; behind my pullout keyboard.

Eww!!!

There's crumbs in it! And a gross, used stainless steel spoon. And what looks like a wadded up tissue that is stuck to the bottom of the drawer. Chewed pens also live in the drawer. And it, like the keyboard, has various "stains" in it. (Can one catch something -- like Herpes or Gonnorhea -- from opening a drawer??)

This whole desk needs a good cleaning. It totally should be disinfected with a very strong cleaner. Now I know what I need to pick up from the store on my way into work tomorrow morning.

I should never have opened the drawer.


Comments

Sarah said…
This totally cracked me up! Nice work.

Popular Posts