MOVE: I Will Stare At You.

Today's "Tool Kit" card read "move" on it.

After sitting at my desk for the past week and half and only venturing as far as the ladies bathroom and kitchen, I decided that I would go on a "walk-about" around the rest of the 12th floor.

So I got up from my desk, went over to C., a co-worker, and said, "I'm gonna take a stroll around the floor."

He said, "Report back on what you find. Go explore like Lewis and Clark."

So I took off on my quick jaunt around the floor. I discovered some hidden meeting rooms (known as "huddle rooms" here), as well as few areas of arranged seating in the open where people were lounging and meeting. I also discovered that other than people in offices, I am the only person on the floor who does not have their desk configured with their back to the opening of their cubicle. Instead, I face my opening at an angle, so no once can see what is up on my computer screen. Actually, that's not the real reason I have the desk like this...

I don't like being surprised at my desk. Especially because I like to listen to music on my noise reduction headphones and can seriously hear nothing when I have them on. So people (at my old job) would come up behind me and start talking, but it would appear as if I was ignoring them. They would start to yell at me to get my attention, and I still wouldn't hear them. Then the would have to touch me on my shoulder, and that would surprise the hell out of me. So to prevent that from happening, I like that my new desk is set up the way it is. I can't be surprised.

But back to my morning stroll...

I also noticed that there is an office on one side of the floor where a woman sits and does nails for people. She was at her desk with a small bowl filled with water and soap and a scrub brush scrubbing her own nails. Her nameplate on the outside of her office read "XXX'S Nails." I don't know if she is here just to do people's nails, but that's cool if she is.

I definitely got the sense on my walk that this is a "creative" floor. There's just too much "randomness" in the decorations around here.

My favorite part of the "walk-about" though was when I would make eye-contact with people as I passed closely by their cubes, staring at what they were doing. You could tell they weren't used to it. And I am passive-aggressive in the sense that I like to make eye contact with people to let them know "hey, I'm a strong presence here and you better 'recoginize.'"

I don't know if I am going to make friends by doing this though.

Comments

Popular Posts