Scaring The Sh%t Out Of Little Children.

I was just recalling a conversation I had with some co-workers last week.

I don't know how we got on the topic, but we began talking about the Catholic church. And one of the guys I work with was telling us how he went to Catholic school as a child. He mentioned that one of the scariest things about the experience were the nuns.

"The things they would say to little children," he said, "would blow your mind."

"I mean, " he continued, "you're a little kid of six or seven. And they would scream at you, 'Christ died on the cross for you! The least you could is stand in ine and be quiet!!!'"

We started laughing... Because if someone came up to us now-a-days and said that; we would think they are a crazy person.

I mean, can you imagine a homeless person coming up to you and saying "Christ died on the cross for you!!!"

My response to them (because in Boston, I run into a lot of homeless people and pan-handlers - even in Winter) would be, "Here... Have a dollar."

I would just want to get away from them as quickly as possible. I don't like people screaming at me about God. And I am grateful my parents never sent me to Catholic school as a child. (Even though I was a practicing Cathloic in my childhood.) I would have grown up feeling guilty about any little thing I did.

And really, that's no way to live your life. Letting others manipulate you into thinking what you are doing is wrong. Even if you're just a mere child of seven, standing in line at school talking to a chum.

Comments

Popular Posts