Flip It Over.

Today's tool kit card had the words "flip it over" on it.

I was having a conversation this morning with some of my fellow "new hire" colleagues here at work. A few of us realize that we are "oddities" at this agency.

Why?

Well, a few reasons.

First, we are punctual. I mean, EXTREMELY punctual. And we kinda don't fit in because of it. True story, yesterday we were scheduled for a big meeting to go over an account set-up. The meeting was five floors above where we sat, in a space we had never been before. We weren't actually sure of the location. So we left our desks 10 minutes early to make sure we found the space and were on time. When we got there, we were just a few minutes early. But the guy leading the meeting said to us, "You know, if you're early or on-time for stuff, people will think you don't have enough to do. You should leave and come back in 10 minutes."

We didn't leave. We sat down and waited for everyone else to show up... Which was, in fact, about 10 minutes later.

The second "oddity" about us is that we are used to dressing business casual for work. (Some are more used to it than others.) This is because where we each worked before, there was some client interaction involved. So you could "toe the line" but never outright cross it. (Though, in the summertime at my last job, I would blatantly where flipflops to work.)

Well, in the meeting yesterday, it was VERY clear that we were kinda "overdressed" for the group. We didn't exactly fit in. Everyone was in scruffy jeans and t-shirts or rough sweaters. Shirts were un-tucked and somewhat un-buttoned, with t-shirts hanging out below them. If heads weren't shaved, then the hair was "mussy."

And this brings me to the last oddity, which only affects me in the group.

I am a girl. There were only three other girls in the room. Out of the 50 people in there, I was one of the only females in the room. Not that I have a problem with being one of the only girls. But, it definitely is odd. Creative teams tend to attract more males; while account teams tend to attract more females.

But all these "oddities" mean the following:

1. I need relax on the obsessive compulsion of being early for everything.
2. I need to buy more jeans. (Leah from Jean Therapy will be happy to read this. Girl, I'm coming in this weekend, probably.)
3. I've decided I need to be even more girly and feminine than usual. (Someone's got to make up for the lack of estrogen on this team.)

I know number three might seem like a "flip" from what I wrote yesterday about "getting in-touch with my inner male..." But it's not. I mean, I still need to get in-touch with that audience that loves sports and roughness; but I have to be true to who I am.

And I am girly. And very, very proud of it.

Comments

That Girl! said…
Of course I'm excited to hear that you are coming to see us. I'd love it even more if you'd let me have you try on other labels and sizes too ;) We are running low on paiges but you know I'm always happy to place orders.

I think you might love some Ravens and we have some really amazing Pencil Immortalities that look great on curvy girls. We should also have stock in this new handbag label we're carrying called lesa wallace.
Me said…
Sweet!!!!!!!!

Popular Posts