Gettin' "Ugly."

A few weeks back, New Year's Eve I believe, I came across an Ugly Betty marathon on TV. I hadn't watched the show this season. But nothing else was on TV, and it was cold out. So I gave it a viewing.

I LOVE this show.

It's funny. It's a good story. It has a positive outlook. It's got evil people. And scandal.

But... What I have really come to appreciate about the show is that it is a racially diverse show.

Why is that such a big deal to me? Well, because like the main character, Betty, I too am Mexican.

When I lived in NYC four years ago, I lived in a Puerto Rican neighborhood. There were no other Mexicans around. Not that it was a big deal at all... But I never really met any other Hispanics in that city who were Mexican. I had friends who were Colombian. I knew Puerto Ricans and Dominicans too... But no Mexicans.

So it was a very big deal to me, once I started watching the show, to see the main character was a Mexican living in the boroughs of NYC. (Yay! They CAN exist!)

I often wondered when watching other shows (Friends in particular), "Why couldn't any of these leading characters be a minority? Where are the Asians? The African-Americans? The Hispanics?"

There was no reason any of those characters couldn't have been anything other white.

So "props" to "Ugly Betty." A very good, diverse, show.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Did you notice that Hilda (Betty's sister) was wearing your apron from anthropologie last week while baking cupcakes? Just thought you would like to know your apron is not only amazing, but famous too!
Me said…
I DID NOTICE THAT!!!!!!

It was awesome!

Popular Posts