Bikram Yoga Challenge: 12/60.

I am a fifth of the way done. Yay!

Man! All I did was lay down my mat in today's noon class, and puddle began forming around me. Before the class even started, my entire body was slick from sweat. The room was very toasty. This was totally different from my previous two classes.

Overall, class 12 was good. I had a different teacher than from my previous classes, and she was really good. She corrected my Bow pose. Well, first she asked me...

"Are you a dancer?"

I laughed. Because, no, I am no dancer. But she was asking because my hips were turning out like a dancer's. As I am going into the pose, my hips stack themselves on top of each other, so that I can get my leg straight and up. And while that is, in fact, the way I am supposed to end in the posture, it's not how I am supposed to go into it.

The hips should be level and pointing down. You should kick back as far as you can on your lifted leg.

Eventually, I will be able to get the hips and leg back up behind me. Doing it this proper way allows for my lifted leg to stay in alignment better. And not have it shooting out like a chicken leg.

Only 48 more classes to go, yo!

Comments

thedancingj said…
OH man I this is SO my problem, too! I have put a lot of thought into this. My conclusion is that if you are really kicking BACK as hard as possible, the knee CAN'T go out to the side, it can only go back. Don't even need to think about the hips. Just pure dialogue. Kick back, kick up, kick harder. If you're losing the balance you're not kicking hard enough. My hip comes up a little at the end but I've got people yelling at me about it. ;) People who are really good at the pose can get beautiful splits with the hips level, belly button facing the floor...

No chicken! ;)
Me said…
Hmm... Chicken... Yumm...
thedancingj said…
Ok, or we could just forget yoga and think about FOOD... I'm hungry too... hmm...

I sent you a standing bow pic on FB by the way. I have a new favorite example... he is so darn pretty...

Popular Posts