Home Style: Multiple Living Areas.

I'm not a fan of formal dining. Don't get me wrong... I like a nice dinner out where we have to dress up somewhat fancy... But not that often. And dining rooms in homes?

FORGET IT!

Dining rooms are some of the most ignored rooms in the entire house. They either collect crap... Or you have to struggle to make an effort to eat at them. They're wasted space.

So in our permanent place here in Toronto, I have decided that even though there is a room big enough for formal dining and formal living... I will not have a dining room.

Nope. No way. The kitchen will have a table, and that is enough. So what am I gonna do with the extra space???

I'm gonna have multiple living areas!!!!



Yes, another ghetto-style drawing. But work with me here.

The first seating area (at the top of the drawing) consists of a console, an ottoman (instead of a coffee table), a love seat and a couch. It is more a "lounging" area. You come home at the end of the day, throw yourself on the couch, pick up a magazine and put your feet on the huge leather ottoman.

The second seating area will consist of a fancier sofa, a second console - behind the sofa (to help divide up the room), coffee table, huge buffet cabinet and two chairs. It's a more formal area.

The colors of all the pieces marry together. We're using different fabrics in both areas... But the colors are in the same family. And the rugs under each area are the same, just different sizes. So everything ties together.

I see myself spending many hours reading and playing board games in here. Or having company over for tea. I can't to move in and have actual pictures to share.

Comments

Popular Posts