It's Yummy "Canexican!"

I am from Arizona. So I grew up eating Mexican food. Also, there's the fact that my father happens to be of Mexican descent, and we grew up celebrating Mexican cuisine very regularly.

So, in short, I am a Mexican food snob. (And funny enough, I consider Taco Bell to be very delicious Mexican food.) While living in NYC, there were a few stellar Mexican places. (Including easily accessible Taco Bells.) In Boston, there wasn't shit. (Okay, Casa Romero was halfway decent. But everything else was not very good. And there were damn near no Taco Bells. And, no, Anna's Taquiria or the Burrito Cart Guy were not legitimate.) And since Canada is much further away from Mexico, I didn't hold much hope for the potential for Mexican cuisine.

Though, I do have a Taco Bell five minutes (walking) from me here. So that should have been a clue to me how Canadian Mexican food (or, "Canexican") would fair.

The Husband and I decided, for date night dinner,to try this place in our neighborhood...

La Mexicana.



The place was nearly empty, despite its kick ass location in Yorkville. And right after we say down and placed our order, they brought us what they referred to as "nachos"...



These aren't "nachos." They are tortilla chips. They brought them with two salsas. One "mild" and one "spicy." I tested the "mild" one and almost vomited. I picked up the bowl and inspected it more closely.



After a few sniffs, I figured out what it was... It was CANNED TOMATO SOUP with some spices!

I LOATHE canned tomato soup. So, after this, I didn't hold much hope for the place. But then I tried the spicy salsa. And it was amazing. Perfectly spicy.

Then came our margaritas...



These KICKED ASS! They made them with REAL FRUIT. And they had actual tequila in them!

Quite quickly, our food arrived...



Very good. The burritos, though petite, had real shredded beef in them. And I feared that the enchiladas were doused in more canned tomato soup... But I was wrong. They were legit.

Canexican food rocks!

Comments

Popular Posts