Doing (Roughly) 99 Bikram Classes...

... In nine weeks. Yeah!

So, I finalized a decision yesterday. This Fall, I will be going to Bikram Yoga Teacher Training.

Surprising?

Well, to some of you it may be. To others, it will not. In fact, when I first started tossing around the idea earlier this year, I had nothing but phenomenal support from people. People that practice with me in Boston, friends, acquaintances... They all had nothing but wonderful and encouraging words.

Then I ran the idea by The Husband, as my going away to Teacher Training would greatly affect him. And he was nothing but encouraging as well. But I was still hesitant to commit to it. Teacher Training is NINE WEEKS in Palm Springs. He could come out and visit me for quick little trips... But was it fair for me to go away and leave him here in Toronto all by himself?

I know, I sound like I sap. And that's pretty much what The Husband told me.

"I am from Toronto. I am 33. I know how to take care of myself," he assured me. "Besides, when will you have this opportunity again? We don't have kids. You're not leaving a job to go. The time to do it is now."

Still, I waited before committing to the idea. I wanted to wait and see what I felt like after I moved to Toronto. Would I have a burning desire to go back to marketing? (An interview earlier this week assured me that I do not want to work full time in digital media. Good people and good company. Just don't want a job where I can't make strategy decisions.) Would I maybe, all of the sudden (again) have a desire to start a family? (Nope.)

But walking into the studio here in Toronto, and chatting with all the different teachers I have had here made realize that I do want to go to Teacher Training. Everyone I mentioned it to has been very encouraging.

"You have a really good practice," they tell me. "The next step is Teacher Training."

Going to Teacher Training isn't just about becoming certified to teach Bikram yoga. It's a yoga boot camp. And it is a phenomenal way to advance your practice. You learn everything... And on top of that, you get certified to teach. You are certified to help people heal.

So, October 18th I leave for Palm Springs. I will be there until December 20th. I will get to experience the insanity and precision that is Bikram Yoga Teacher Training...
  • 2 Bikram classes per day, five days a week (with one class on Saturday mornings)
  • 1 to 2 hours of studying on my own per day
  • 5 to 9 hours of lecture and posture clinic time
  • Endless need for showers
  • Continuous hydration
  • Lack of sleep
  • Tens of pages of exact dialogue to memorize
  • Anatomy tests
  • Bollywood movies late at night
  • Exhaustion of all sorts
So much more, I imagine. But it will be fun overall. And rewarding.

I had my medical evaluation yesterday, and got the doctor's approval. I have also submitted my online application. Later this month I will have my teacher recommendation. And then in early July, I will send off my entire packet.

Yay!

Comments

This is exciting. I don't think I could be away for 9 weeks, but it sounds like this really is the perfect time for you to go for it. Yay! I can't wait for you to teach me some new things!!!

Congrats!

xoxo
bikramyogachick said…
I am so happy for you! I would like to go to training someday as well. The timing sounds perfect for you! Go for it girl! You're going to do great!
Me said…
Aww! Thanks ladies!!!
Bex said…
First? The Husband sounds like *very* good people. We like him.

Second? YAY!

Third? You will do AMAZING!! Can't wait to read all about it!!
thedancingj said…
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH OMG OMG OMG!!!!

I'll go back and read your entry now... I got so excited that I didn't even get past the first sentence. This is so awesome!!!
That Girl! said…
I'm so excited for you! I'm really glad you made the right choice for you and have the opportunity to follow your dreams.
Rebekah said…
Hooray! From my limited experience A. reading your blog and B. doing Bikram, I can tell your passion and enthusiasm really shine through. And that's the most important part of teaching anyone anything. Reading your blog inspired me to start and it was the best decision I ever made!! Already in my 3rd class I was advancing in poses I could barely even ATTEMPT the first day. Now you'll be able to reach out to so many more people. Congrats on taking the leap and good luck!!
Me said…
Dancing J... I WISH LIKE HELL that there was some magical way you could attend Fall TT too. I know your scholastic stuff is super important to you too, though. So, just saying... :) And thanks! I am super excited!


JT... THANK YOU! You followed your denim & fashion dreams... So you are an inspiration to all of us when it comes to "reaching for it"!

Rebekah... Thank you! I hope you find Bikram yoga to be as healing as the rest of us do! So proud of you for getting in there, trying AND for coming back to the torture chamber!!!!
thedancingj said…
Oh man, I KNOW, ME TOO!! Sigh... but I'm glad that I will know someone at the next session! Maybe I'll get to sneak down and visit this time, it's only a 4 hour drive... (so close yet so far!!!!)
Nichole M said…
That sounds like a great opportunity; so glad The Husband is supportive and encouraging! (It makes all the difference, doesn't it?) You're going to shine at boot camp, I'm sure. And the Bollywood movies will be awesome!
Vanessa said…
I'm so happy for you. It sounds like this is a great decision for you and everything is aligning perfectly!
Heidi said…
that is so awesome! Congrats!!!

I've started getting into yoga as a way to recover from my last marathon, once i have a few months of practice under my belt i definitely want to give bikram a try since i've read so much about it from your blog :)
Bobbi said…
Good for you! I've applied for yoga teacher training (not Bikram) for this fall, it's so exciting! Namaste

Popular Posts