Healthy Dish For The Weak: Veggie Fry-Up.

Just stating it here and now... I am giving up meat for Lent.

No, I am not a practicing Catholic... But I still like to attempt to be disciplined and give up something during Lent. This year's thing: meat and poultry.

I will still eat fish... And lots and lots of veggies. I know most people like to give up vices, like coffee or swearing. But their ain't no way in Satan's finest den of hell that I am going to give up either of those things. So meat and poultry it is!

And while I don't have to worry about 86-ing meat and poultry from my diet for a few more days, when Lent begins... I decided I would just start it tonight... (Forgetting about the eggs and sausage that I had for breakfast today, of course.) And I made a veggie fry-up for dinner.



Ingredients:
  • Carrots (a handful, chopped in bite-size chunks)
  • Onion (half a yellow one, cut in slices)
  • Mushrooms (half a container of sliced white ones)
  • Basmati rice (1 cup of rice)
  • Spinach (two handfuls of leaves)

Directions:
  1. Make the rice according to the directions on the box.
  2. Toss some olive oil in a saute pan, heated over medium high heat.
  3. Throw the carrots in once it is hot.
  4. Once carrots begin to soften, toss in mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper.
  5. Throw in the onions once the mushrooms begin to get soft too.
  6. Once onions turn translucent-y, toss in the spinach and let it wilt for about two minutes.
  7. Mix everything together and dump over the rice.
  8. Serve with soy sauce.

Comments

Frogger said…
Great idea! Love the discipline! Aren't we in Europe during Lent? Like, in Holland and France, where meat is part of just about every meal?
Me said…
Nope! Lent ends Easter Day... Which is April 12th.
If you run out of recipes let me know. Since the hubby doesn't eat meat I have quite a few!

Good luck.

xoxo

Popular Posts