Music To Write To...

I bought The Husband an iPod two years ago for his birthday. I had it engraved on the bag to read, "For all of Humanity*." But he never uses it. That's because he doesn't know how to add music to it himself. He relies on me to do it, and he doesn't like the music I initially added to it. So I am trying to re-do it for him, as I would really like him to use the iPod I bought him.

While digging through all of our music, to change up his playlists, I was reintroduced to all my old CDs. CDs I had long forgotten about because I don't remember the last time I bought a CD. (I think was 2003. I buy all of my music, ad most of my movies, digitally.) And I found myself wanting to add a lot of songs to my various iPods.

"Some of these would be really good to have on in the background when I am writing," I concluded.

I am one of those people who needs a slight distraction when writing. I don't like just sitting around in silence and writing. I need "outside" stimulation to get the creativity expanding. So I put together a playlist and begin throwing songs into it. And I have discovered something...

I consider a lot of the following artists' music worthy of "creative stimulation":
  • Dixie Chicks
  • Pet Shop Boys
  • David Gray
  • Dave Matthews
  • Madonna
  • Beastie Boys
  • Scissor Sisters
The only one that is odd, I think, is the Pet Shop Boys. I had long forgotten that they were one of my favorite all-time groups. I picked up their Discography CD as a freshman in high school, and I am surprised I didn't wear the CD out with the number of times I listened to it.

All in, I have 75 songs and 5.3 hours worth of music on my "Creative Writing" playlist. That should keep me writing for a few hours each day. Now to finish The Husband's list...

Comments

Frogger said…
Joss Stone and Erika Badu are supply good tracks for background 'writing' music.

Popular Posts