"Stimulus Maximus" Has Been Signed.

And everyone gets a pony!!!

Kidding.  Only Frogger gets (got) a pony.  (Inside joke.)

Seriously though...  President Barack Hussein Obama (I still get a kick out of writing out his full name - seven years ago, who would've thought?) signed the stimulus bill today.  

And while individually we may feel hesitant about certain parts of the bill (I personally do not want to see homeowners bailed out or the auto companies - sorry), I do like that most Americans will be receiving some kind of tax breaks of $400 (for individuals) or $800 (for couples).  It will show up in your paychecks beginning in June of this year, and is estimated to be about $13 less a week.

I also like that tax incentives will be given to consumers who purchase cars or are a first-time home buyer.  And the 65% subsidy for unemployed workers paying for COBRA... That is awesome! (If I had used my last company's PPO insurance, it would cost me about $680 A MONTH to continue my coverage. WTF?)

I think everyone needs to just take a breathe now, and remember that the only way to keep the American economy moving forward and strong is to go out and make comfortable and smart purchases.  Here are a few things I recommend:
  • Starbucks stuff. It's an American company.  And I love their coffee, just not their soy milk. So I support keeping them in business.
  • Clothing from small business-based boutiques. I love clothes, but enough with the mass-produced and over-priced chain stuff! Support your local small businesses.
  • Local restaurants. Same as the clothing... Support your local small businesses. (Including the independent coffee shops that are not Starbucks.)
Need help finding legitimate businesses to stimulate the local Boston economy? I recommend the following sites to help you:
Anyone else have any good sites to get information on various local reviews or local businesses? Leave them in the comments, please!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yelp!
nancy said…
$680 a month for insuarnce? Try HAVING to pay $780 for the State issued plan. Minimum. That sucks.
Anonymous said…
Not all homeowners were irresponsible. I put 20% down on mine, yet here in Florida it has lost nearly 40% of its value, therefore I am underwater now. So my $300,000 house that i had a loan for $240,000 is now only worth about $200,000.
Me said…
Oh wow! I am so sorry Melissa...

It's just so hard to tell the difference between the legitimately unfortunate buyers (like yourself) and the ones who just took advantage of the system.

I meant no disrespect.
Frogger said…
Thank you for my ponies!
Me said…
LOL!

That wasn't me! That was Bail!
Anonymous said…
It's a double-edged sword. Yes, ideally we can stimulate the economy by spending and supporting local businesses, as you suggested. However, before we go and do that, we need to take care of our personal finances. The notion that we should all have six months worth of living expenses and personal finances saved up in a high-interest savings account is all too relevant now. As an unemployed ad exec, I find myself relying now on that emergency fund, as well as unemployment benefits from the state. So great suggestions with supporting the local economy, but definitely worth mentioning that we, as Americans, need to re-educate ourselves on being fiscally responsible. Then we can go ahead and spend our cash! Love the blog! :-)
Me said…
"Hear! Hear!" Katie F.

Popular Posts