Toronto: What To Pack For Three Months?

I realized something when I was out to dinner with The Husband last night...  

When we move to Toronto, we will be in a temporary place for the first three months.  All our belongings will be in storage till we find a place to buy or rent in our preferred neighborhood. This means that I will have to pack, in a suitcase, everything that I need/want for the first few months.

Holy shit!

This now calls for me to be strategic.  It will be late Spring/early Summer when we move...  So I can probably get by with one season (Summer) in terms of style of clothes.  But this will require me to be very careful with everything I pack.

So here's my first stab at what I will definitely need the first few months:
  • Yoga mat. (Can I even fit this in a suitcase?)
  • Three pairs yoga shorts, three yoga mat towels and three yoga tops.
  • Three pairs of yoga pants and three workout tops (for the gym).
  • Gym shoes.
  • Six pairs of jeans. (I own 12.  So I think taking half is justifiable.)
  • Tank tops - All 12 of them.  (I wear them every day and under every thing.)
  • Two hoodies.
  • Two pairs of ballet flats. (I wear these all the time in the Summer.)
  • Two pairs of Havianas. (Ditto, above.)
  • Two casual cotton dresses.
  • Make-up. (I don't wear much. So it's a small  bag.)
  • T3 blowdryer with diffuser. (THANK GOD Canada has the same outlets as the U.S. Ditto for Mexico! No more blowing up T3 products with converters!)
  • Laptop. (Can only bring one, will pack the other away till we find a permanent home.)
  • iPod Speakers.
  • Sex and the City DVDs.
  • Harry Potter DVDs.
Oh holy hell. 

I just freaked out and went and told The Husband I didn't know how I was gonna pack everything I need for three months. 

"I guess I will just have to buy a new wardrobe when I get up there, and pack less clothes," I decided.

"Um, now," said The Husband.  "I will pay the extra baggage fare for you to check more than one suitcase."

"Yeah," I agreed. "I guess that could work too."

I still have to be strategic about what to bring though.  This will require some serious analysis and study of what I think I will wear and what I will actually wear.

Comments

Frogger said…
Don't forget the pineapple shirt and McQueen skull scarf. Also, you need your black MB stilletos and one LBD, because you never know...
Me said…
Holy shite! That's right! My Tory Burch pineapple tunic!!!!!
~**Dawn**~ said…
Ugh. I do not envy you! A few years ago, I had to do roughly the same thing. The old house sold. Had to be out in November. The new house wasn't going to be ready til February. Temporary housing in a furnished rental with everything in storage. It was so hard to figure what I was going to need for almost 3 months! Nothing like giving a move a challenging twist!
Me said…
Oh! And you had it even tougher, Dawn... You had to do all that in Winter, when the clothes are way bulkier!

I guess the silver lining is that it will be warm in Toronto... And I can shove more in the suitcase than if it were Winter.
I would die. This is going to require some serious thought!
Anonymous said…
Talk to your moving coordinator about having some boxes designated for an "early out". I've been moved for several jobs before, in similar situations as yours. And I've always been able to get a few things off the truck before they're sent to the mover's warehouse.

Laura

Popular Posts