Madewell Boston.

So... Yeah...

The much-hyped Madewell store opened on Newbury Street yesterday.  I got over there today to take a look at it and to check out the merchandise first hand.  

First, the positives:
  • It's a cute space.  Very light and airy.  I've never been to Nantucket or the Vineyard... But in my mind, that's what it felt like.
  • The merchandise is cute.  They sell Hunter wellies...  And I really loved these boots.  

(I just wished they were in black.)

Okay.  Now, what I didn't like:  The price points are mostly too high.  I am sorry, but they are... 
  • Over $100 for Madewell jeans? (In some cases, $200!)  These aren't designer jeans the likes of Raven, Pine IV or Paige!  
  • The sandals, in my opinion, were of the same quality you would find at Urban Outfitters, but priced way higher.  I found myself wondering, "How long till these fall apart?"  I would rather buy the the Deena & Ozzy Metal Gladiators from UO and pay a third of the price.
  • Cotton tees for the same price you would find at J. Crew - around $35? (I was confused as to whether or not this was supposed to be a slightly less expensive line than J. Crew. That's what I originally thought it was.)
It's a good store, with a lot of "basics." But to be honest, you can find better quality basics at better price points.  And again, with the jeans... I honestly just know where they have the audacity to try to price their jeans that high.  You go see a real denim guru and get quality designers jeans at that price!

I will probably go back to Madewell... But I don't know that I will buy anything anytime soon. It's worth checking out though.

Comments

That Girl! said…
Jeans????!?! I might have to get all ethnic, do a headroll and say, "GIRL, oh no they didn't!!!!!"
Me said…
I know! I couldn't believe they offer them, and at the prices they are trying to sell them at!
What a bummer. I was hoping this would be as cute place for some inexpensive trendyish pieces.

But the real question is.........did they have the yellow dress?????
Me said…
I didn't see the yellow dress... And I looked.
Boston Bride said…
I checked it out today and I would have to agree- everything was just wayy too pricey. I liked the style but will wait for a sale before I buy anything from there!
Anonymous said…
Their stuff is expensive but they have tons of sales and if you have a college id they will give you a 15% discount, even on clearance items. And their pants are very expensive but the pair I bought is holding up really well and I don't treat them very gently.
madewell is one of my all time favorite stores. They're actually a sister store of J.Crew, just a little more casual and less preppy. They have amazing sales and their clothes are actually really great quality, so that's where the price tag comes in. Yes, their jeans are expensive for not being "designer", but I think it's more about quality than a "designer" label (I've had some real designer jeans that haven't really lasted as long as they should have considering the price). Madewell's are extremely durable, wash well etc etc. Then for the shirts and sweaters... great basics, perfect for layering, also wash and hold up really well. Honestly, out of all the clothes in my closet I wear my stuff from Madewell the most because it's so versatile and really allows you to be a creative dresser. I like the one on Newbury mostly for convenience but I prefer the one in Natick.

[Chels]
I also have those boots... in both brown AND black. I got them @ the natick location but I'm sure you can call and order them if they're still available. I lived in those boots this winter.

[Chels]
Anonymous said…
In my opinion the price is equivalent to the quality. Madewell does carry designer jeans such as Paige and Earnest Sewn, which unfortunately come in at around $195, but I own like 4 pairs of their jeans, and they fit better, last longer, and wash better than all of my other jeans ... so they were well worth the $400 dollars I shelled out over a period of six months. I have sweaters and shirts from there that I can mix and match. Not to mention most of the sweaters are wool or mohair which mean that they are warm.

Popular Posts