The Frugal Missus.

Beginning tomorrow, I am going to try something new for the rest of the month... I am going to attempt to exist very lean budget.

How lean? Well, leaner than what I am used to doing. And what I am used to doing is not budgeting much at all.
  • See, I am only a part-time budget-er. I know what my monthly costs are:
  • Gym - $140 (It's so worth it though.)
  • Training - $1200 (But I don't pay any rent or utilities. So I can indulge.)
  • Cell - $60 (And I never use up all my minutes)
  • Groceries - $600
  • Renter's Insurance - $46
Other than this, I put a heavy percentage into my savings and use the rest as "whatever cash." But, I'd like to save a certain amount of money before moving to Canada next Spring. So, in order to do that, I need to spend less per day from my "whatever cash." And I had to take a good look at what exactly I am spending my money on daily in order to cut down.

Here's a look at my daily expenses during the week:
  • Starbucks coffees - $4
  • Lunch - $10
  • Cab home from yoga - $10
  • Waters from yoga - $6
Now, I really don't want to do away with the yoga expenses. Occasionally, I will walk home from yoga. But often it's just easiest to hop into a cab. So lunches and coffee are definitely where I can cut back. Or at least where I will try. And I can cut out one of the waters from yoga.

So, instead of spending about $30 a day, I will drop that down to about $15 a day... At least for the rest of this month. I won't buy anymore coffee from Starbucks (Sorry D-Team!)... And I won't eat any meals out.

This should be interesting, yes? It's been a very long time since I gave myself a "petty cash" budget. But it's time tighten the purse strings if I want to save as much as I would like to before Canada. And if it comes down to it, I could cut my training sessions down to once a week, which would cut that cost in half each month.

We'll see though.

Comments

Vanessa said…
Given that the trainer has stood you up twice, I'd look at that or be asking for a few free sessions! That was so rude on his part and for a "new to you" trainer, he doesn't seem to be trying to earn your business. Of course, just my opinion!
nancy said…
Sounds like a great plan... We have a very tight budget in our household. Question, though, how in the hell do you live in Boston w/out paying rent????
Me said…
LOL!

My husband and I are DINKs, Nancy. We have Double Incomes with No Kids.

So we divided up the bills based on our income percentage. Rent and utilities is about X% of his total income each month... And groceries are X% of my total income each month. So I get the groceries and he deals with the rent and utilities.
Me said…
LOL!

The trainer did actually send me a text message saying he owed me a comp session. So no worries on that.

And technically, Friday's missed session was my fault, as I gave him no alternative means to contact me other than my (lost) cell phone.
nancy said…
Ah, the days of being a dink. I forgot about those (and many other things) during the 4 years of motherhood... but that's another story. I'd much rather dip into savings for Starbucks than another freaking Polly Pocket, though...

Popular Posts