"You Can Do Anything You Want."

The Husband reminded me with those words last night, while we ate dinner at the Eastern Standard to celebrate the 4th of July.

I had informed him that this would be my last July 4th in the U.S... Unless I came back for a visit on the holiday. He said that we would loop celebrating July 4th in with celebrating Canada Day, and not to be too bummed about it. Then the topic changed to what else I could do once we were living in Toronto. And we were speaking specifically about employment.

See, as much as I would like to continue working with my current company... I do not see that as being very likely. I could easily do my job remotely. It is clear that people are happy with the job I have done so far. And I could continue to grow and do my job even while living in Canada. But, I think they really want to keep the job based in the U.S. Which I respect. So unless there's some other way I can step in, I don't think I'll be keeping my job after next April.

So then, that means there's a few options...
  • I could find another job in search marketing in-house or at an agency. (Though hell will freeze over before I go to another agency. They would have to be an amazing agency.)
  • I could start my own search marketing consulting practice. (Though I really don't want the responsibility of doing that.)
  • I could become a professional blogger for a company. Many legitimate companies are starting to hire bloggers to write every day about topics related to it. (This would be the most ideal job for me, I think.)
  • I could begin freelance writing again for publications, like I did when I first moved to Boston five years ago. (Perhaps I would be ready to actually commit to that type of thing now. I wasn't five years ago. I wanted to work in an office, not at home. I've changed now though.)
  • I could send myself to Bikram Yoga teacher training next Fall (2009) and become a Bikram Yoga teacher in Toronto. (Hmm... Teach training is held for nine weeks in Acapulco, Mexico.)
I listed out all these ideas to The Husband last night at dinner. His response was, "You can do anything you want to."

I think his preference would be to see me continue working for my current company. He knows that I actually enjoy this job. But if that's not possible, he's perfectly okay with me dilly-dallying till I figure out how I want to spend my days working. Or, if I just want to dilly-dally every day, he's fine with that too. (But he's pretty sure I will get bored just doing that.)

So I have a LOT to think about before then, people.

Comments

Anonymous said…
if you have the time and the cash to go to bikram teacher training, totally do it! i feel like it is one of those things that just falls into place at the right time. even if you don't want to teach bikram full time as your job, it would be an amazing experience!

Popular Posts