Yoga Retreat In Mexico?

I have been giving some serious thought lately to going to a yoga retreat in Sedona in September. I lived most of my early life in Arizona, and never once did I go to Sedona. Sedona is a beautiful place (from what I hear) and I definitely plan to hit it before I move to Canada. But I am thinking, now, that I may not be interested in going to the yoga retreat in Sedona.

This is because there is a different yoga retreat I am considering... The Bikram Yoga Advanced Seminar in Acapulco, also in September.

The advanced seminar is a week-long retreat at a resort in Mexico. The purpose of the seminar is to train Bikram students in the advanced postures of the practice, which we don't do in the beginning Bikram series. Also, in addition to learning the 84 postures, you also get to hear Bikram Choudhury himself (the founder) lecture. I've heard great things about getting to spend time practicing with Bikram... So this could be a potential retreat for me.

The cost isn't bad either... It's $2200 for a single room with the retreat costs.

I'll have to give it some more thought... And discuss it with The Husband when he gets back from Calgary tonight. Could be loads of fun though. Not to mention very good for my practice.

Comments

Anonymous said…
stupid school! otherwise i would totally be there!
Unknown said…
have you ever read susananda's blog? She's an ashtangi by trade but attends advanced bikram classes upon occasion and writes nice, detailed reviews that you might enjoy:

saturday-advanced-bikram-report
thedancingj said…
Oh babe - EEK - I do not know if Bikram advanced would be FUN for you at all!! As far as I can tell the seminar is mainly geared toward certified Bikram teachers, some of whom already know + practice the advanced series. Advanced is hard and it is FAST - 84 in 90 minutes - so you might just end up kinda frustrated, lost, and REALLY sweaty. You could talk to Tomo or Michelle about it - they both went to the last one and had an awesome time. Tomo said that there were some normal students there that time... but I think they couldn't do that much...

Anyway, u can write me on facebook if u want to know more about advanced, I can tell u lots more, maybe give some suggestions...

J :)
Me said…
This is very good info to know J! Thank you!

Michelle actually mentioned it in class yesterday... I had seen it on the Bikram site and thought it was just for teachers... But when she mentioned it in class, I thought... "I guess if you've been practicing a few years it's okay too."
thedancingj said…
Aaaahh... that explains it. But I'm willing to bet that she did not totally explain what the seminar entails... ;)

It's super that you're feeling all ambitious tho! You could always think about doing the competition in the Fall - THAT would step up your practice several notches!! It's fun, and then you get to try the advanced series in the safety of your own home... tho it's not nearly as glam as the Fairmont Resort Hotel...

J :)

Popular Posts