South End: We're Walkable!

So pretty much everyone knows that Boston is a walkable city. In fact, it's the third most walkable city in the U.S. (Yet, it still boggles my mind that people are so car-dependent here.)

As I looked deeper into the data available on Walkscore, I noticed that the South End was listed as being the one of two of the most walkable parts of the city. We have a "walkable" score of 97%.



The other part of the city that ranked with us for "walkable" factor was Backbay/Beacon Hill.

Yet... I still know of people who work in Downtown Crossing and drive to work from their home in the South End. And I know of people in the Beacon Hill who work in Cambridge and drive to work out there as well.

What a waste... You can T or walk, people! I myself have three options (not counting a cab) to get to work in the morning... From my apartment in the South End, I can ride the 43 bus, take the Orange Line or walk. I realize not everyone may have as many options as I do... But one of the three is enough to discourage car-use, I would think.

Give up your cars people! You don't need them. You only think you do! (Unless you work outside the city where the T doesn't go, then maybe you do need them. But most of us do not.)

Comments

Anonymous said…
I can't wait until I go back to Boston so I can finally see the South End. After reading all about it here it's pretty much a must.
Anonymous said…
People really drive from the SE to Downtown crossing? Really? How silly. Plus, they must make serious coin and have parking spots at both ends...
Me said…
Yes... I have seen people do it. (A guy I used to work with at an agency in downtown did it. And he lives right down the street from me.)
Anonymous said…
I can't believe people make those drives!
I'm moving out to Boston next May, and I'm really anxious to sell my car before heading out.

Popular Posts