"It's Called Muscle Fatigue."

The trainer showed today. (Hooray!) And the gym was nice and quiet for the first 35 minutes... As no one else was up and training at that time.

The new trainer is different from the old trainer. For one, he has boy parts, not girl parts. (Not that it matters... I was just noting the differences.) And, also, he works me out differently than the old trainer.

Old trainer and I used to do lots of reps of various exercises. But there was little muscle fatigue. There was lots of "tiring out"... But My muscles rarely ever got so exhausted that I just couldn't hold something up anymore. It was a different type of training with her.

The new trainer, though, strongly believes in fatiguing my muscles. We do only 10 reps of each exercise, three times. But the weights are much heavier. Before, for example, my old trainer used to have me lay on my back and press up weights over my chest while keeping my arms tucked in... But she used to give me 10 or 12 pounds weights to do them. New trainer though, he hands me the 20 pound weights and tells me to "get to it."

After the first two reps in the second set, I couldn't press my arms up. So he "helped" me a little. And in the third set, he made me use the same weight. No changing.

We also did various lunges and step-ups on large steps... And again, he complimented me on my "perfect form" and explained to me why my arms felt stiff after so many reps.

"It's called 'muscle fatigue,'," he said. "You're really fit... But you just haven't been challenged."

And it's so true. I have not lost a single pound in the year that I have been using a trainer twice a week. Not that I expected to, though. I just wanted a reason to get me to the gym a few times each week. And I have gained a lot of muscle than when I started. But I have a feeling the new trainer will actually have me dropping pounds in a few months. Not that I particularly care one weigh or the other. (Hee-hee.)

Good session, though. And he super-duper promised he won't miss Monday's session.

Comments

Ben said…
You brave, brave souls who embarked on the personal trainer journey...I do not envy you.
Me said…
Well.. I don't have quite the battle with the Bosu balls that Jenn has when she trains... But, yes, it does take bravery to get through it.

:)

Popular Posts