"I Thought They Were Singing About American Express..."

Silly me.

But really, I can hardly be solely to blame for the fact that I knew no Crosby, Stills & Nash songs prior to attending their concert tonight at the Bank of America Pavilion.

See... When most of my friends were growing up here state-side... I was growing up in West Germany. (Back, before The Wall came down, and it was, in deed still West Germany.) And as a child growing up in said land, I was only privy to the music my parents played for me. This music included the following:
  • Alabama's Greatest Hits
  • Michael Jackson's Thriller
  • The Beach Boys' Greatest Hits
  • Air Supply
And that's pretty much it. No one ever played me music from CSN. And until I moved back to teh U.S. when I was 9 and introduced to MTV, I thought Madonna (whom I had heard on the only English-speaking music radio station in Germany) was African-American.

So, I apologize if my taste in music, as well as my knowledge, has been "lacking."

Tonight, my friends Frogger and Bail went with me to a Crosby, Stills & Nash concert. I recall the day (nearly a month ago) when Frogger sent me an email about the concert. I pretended to know what I was talking about and said...

"Oh that would be awesome to see them!"

She bought it.. And at the same time, bought us tickets.

Flash forward to today... And she has the tickets in hand. And I decide to confess... "I know no Crosby, Stills & Nash songs."

EVERYONE in the office was shocked. No one believed me at first. But I was dead serious. And I am not the only one... The Husband knows no CSN songs either.

So despite not knowing any of their songs, I had a great time at the concert. And if I was ever asked to go and see them again in the fiture, I wouldn't hesitate for a second. It was a lot of fun. And the B of A Pavilion is a great place to see a performance.

the first song the band sang, I thought, was about "American Express." And I was thinking during the entire song, "WHY HAVE THEY NOT USED THIS IN AN AMERICAN EXPRESS COMMERCIAL???"

Turns out I heard it wrong. (I do have bad hearing though.) They were singing about "Marakesh Express." Not "American Express."

Comments

Frogger said…
I am so honored to be the one who introduced you to one of the most influential bands of all time. Glad you had an awesome time!
Unknown said…
OK. The Husband of Bail has since disclosed that he didn't know any CSN songs either. We checked out some youtube clips together.

I had an AWESOME time, hope you guys did too.

Popular Posts