"It Doesn't Suck. Therefore, It Sucks."

The Husband left for Calgary earlier today... And my first thought was, "Yay! Now I can clean the house without him getting in the way."

The Husband does help keep the house tidy on a regular basis. However, his idea of clean and my idea of clean are slightly different. So with him out of the way, I wouldn't have to argue with him on whether or not something was really clean. I could just do it myself, without his insistence that he help, and get things cleaned the way I want them cleaned.

During my cleaning event (which lasted two hours), I realized my efforts to get my carpeted floors clean were pointless. Our vacuum cleaner, which is not even two years old yet, really sucks. I mean, it doesn't suck. Therefore, it sucks.

The red contraption with a removable dirt chamber is just not doing its job. You run it over carpeting, and 50% of the time it won't pick anything up. I fear having people over to the house who have allergies... God only knows what dust might be hiding in the carpets. And because we live in a place that faces Tremont Street, it gets quite dusty in here. A couple times a week I have to take a cloth to my furniture in the living room that has collected layers of dust from the open windows.

Cleaning this place is a never-ending task. And I refuse to hire cleaning help. We're just two people. And this place isn't that big. So I refuse to pay someone to clean it each week. And it must be cleaned regularly.

To be honest, the only thing that is making me consider hiring a cleaning service is the stupid vacuum cleaner. So rather than spend a couple hundred dollars a month getting this place cleaned, I will just spend it on a much better vacuum cleaner. One that's high tech and has great consumer reviews.

So I am off to study vacuum cleaners online. If anyone has any recommendations, I would greatly appreciate it.

Comments

Sani said…
Hi. I had a Kirby and then a Dirt Devil. The Kirby was too heavy. The Dirt Devil had too many contraptions on it which snapped off and broke when we moved. Now I have an ORECK and I love it. It is light and simple and does the job. Also, I bought the Orbiter (carpet cleaner) which I didn't intend to. It wasn't an accident. I wanted to buy a steamer but the salesman told me to try the Orbiter. Now, I have to call my sister-in-law to borrow my Orbiter.
Good luck!
Anonymous said…
Hi. We used to own a Kirby but that was so heavy to push around. It didn't seem to work that well anyways. Then there was the Dirt Devil that my Puerto Rican sister-in-law said she could never have in the house because she is Catholic and it says 'devil' on it. For me it had too many contraptions on it. When we moved, some of them broke off and it sucked, or I should say it didn't 'suck' enough. But now, I have the Oreck which is wonderful. It is light, you can pick it up so easily. It is simple, nothing to break. And it really works! While purchasing the Oreck, I asked about the carpet steam cleaner. But the salesman suggested the Orbiter to clean the carpet. I made sure that I could return everything. But after I got it home and tried I just loved it. Unfortunately, my sister-in-law has a dog, a cat and two teenagers. So, if I want to use it, I have to borrow it from her..... Good luck!
Anonymous said…
love my oreck. best vacuum out there pretty much and lasts forever
Vanessa said…
I did this same survey on my blog earlier this year and I went with the Dyson Animal (purple). It does a fabulous job of sucking; you can actually see the carpet "lift" when you use it. I joke that one of these days it will suck up the carpet pad. It's bagless and has a lifetime hepa filter. I use it on my hardwoods and the carpet upstairs and trust me with two little dogs, they drag in a fair share of dirt. The collection chamber opens easily for emptying and it has many attachments that make it easy to vacuum under the furniture. I just cannot say enough great things about this vacuum! If you are not a Dyson fan, my second choice was a Miele. Good luck with your search.

Popular Posts